26 PhD/EngD Students attended the facilitated DEN Writing Retreat at Cumberland Lodge in Great Windsor Park, which ran over 2 days; Tuesday 5 and Wednesday 6 February.
Doctoral research students from the following CDTs and universities were in attendance:
- Centre for Digital Entertainment – University of Bath and Bournemouth University
- Digital Civics CDT – Newcastle University
- Financial Computing CDT – University College London
- HighWire CDT – University of Lancaster
- Horizon CDT – University of Nottingham
- Intelligent Games and Game Intelligence (IGGI) CDT – Goldsmiths University
- Loughborough University London
- Media and Arts Technology CDT – Queen Mary University of London
- Web Science CDT – University of Southampton
These writing retreats provide PhD/EngD students with a time structured two day programme to focus on research writing or other PhD work in a dedicated environment. Students who are currently writing up their thesis find these events particularly valuable.
Projects that students were working on at this retreat included thesis chapters, interview transcription, journal papers, literature reviews and coding projects.
This retreat was held immediately after the recent 21-Day online DEN Writing Challenge, which ran during January and February, where students within the Network took on the challenge of writing 500 words per day over 21 days, and shared progress and experiences with the DEN Community over Social Media. You can catch up with this via the hashtag #DENWritingChallenge.