A two-day Entrepreneurship Workshop for EPSRC Digital Economy PhD/CDT Students
An opportunity to win an entrepreneurial prize of £1000!
This event is free of charge to attend for current Digital Economy CDT/PhD/EngD students registered at UK universities and travel expenses can be covered. Please refer to procedure for claiming travel expenses at the bottom of this page.
What is it, and who is it for?
This Digital Economy Network funded two-day event is both a ‘boot camp’ and hackathon competition specifically developed for EPSRC Digital Economy PhD students or postdocs who may be interested in commercialising their research, or looking to further develop their entrepreneurial and business development skills.
- The event will be run in collaboration with the Digital Catapult Centre in London, as part of their academic engagement programme.
When is it happening and how much does it cost?
The event is free of charge for current Digital Economy research students to attend, and the details are as follows:
- Dates: Tuesday 19 – Wednesday 20 September 2017
- Times: Day one starts at 10.00am and Day 2 finishes by 4.30pm, lunch and refreshments provided.
- Programme: The provisional programme is available here.
- Venue: Digital Catapult, 101 Euston Rd, London, NW1 2RA
- Cost: Free to attend for current research students/early careers researchers (and there is DEN funding available for travel expenses).
- What is included: Attendance at the 2-day workshop, overnight accommodation, buffet lunch and refreshments on both days.
How do I register?
Registration is open now via Eventbrite at: Entrepreneurship Workshop registration.
What will I get from attending?
Participants will benefit from the following:
- A two-day expert masterclass in entrepreneurship.
- Presentations by CDT/PhD students who have launched successful companies or products based on their research.
- Information on support structures (e.g. incubators and funding),
- Pitching advice and mentorship.
- A hackathon competition for participants, with a prize of £1,000 up for grabs for the best start-up idea and pitch.
- Opportunities to meet and collaborate with other PhD students.
Who is organising this?
Event organisers: DEN would like to thank the following organisers for putting together this event.
- Prof Philip Treleaven, Professor of Computer Science and Director of the UK Centre for Financial Computing & Analytics, University College London
- Dr Chris Carter, Assistant Professor in Entrepreneurship & Innovation, The Haydn Green Institute for Innovation and Entrepreneurship – Nottingham University Business School
- Oonagh McGee, Co-ordinator and Research Skills/Professional Skills module teacher, Digital Institute & Cloud Computing for Big Data CDT, Newcastle University
- Chris Skilton, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Consultant
- Felicia Black, Manager, Digital Economy Network
Procedure for claiming travel expenses:
There are three ways you can claim your travel expenses back from the Network for direct travel to and from this event.
- You can claim back your expenses by completing the expense claim form and return via email to the DEN Manager, (Felicia Black), together with supporting booking confirmation emails/receipts. Personal mileage will be paid at 45p per mile.
- Your CDT/University Manager/Administrator can invoice the Digital Economy Network for your travel costs immediately after the event. They should contact the DEN Manager for this.
- You can email to request for your train travel to be booked for you in advance by emailing the DEN Manager, who will then email your rail booking confirmation to you so you can collect your tickets at your departure station.
- You must have registered for the event via eventbrite prior to this process.